The term nerd has changed meanings over the past ten years or so. What once used to be a negative term to describe smart people interested in computers, who liked Star Trek and comic books(these people were and are awesome), and, according to urbandictionary.com, were socially inept, is now more generally used to describe people who are immensely interested in certain television shows, books, comics, movies, or any specific hobby. While this is still quite similar to its past meaning, being a nerd is somehow cool these days. I believe it’s because of huge jump in numbers we have seen over the years. Fandoms are becoming more and more popular, with people obsessing together all over the world. Because I am a proud nerd gal, I’d like to share some of my favorite television fandoms, in no particular order.
1. BBC’s Sherlock– my cousin introduced me to this show, and I couldn’t be more thankful. It is absolutely brilliant, based off Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and the casting is just amazing. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are perfect and I highly suggest that if you haven’t, you should get on Netflix now, or at your earliest convenience, and check it out.
2. Arrow- my first DC comic television show love. Oh goodness gracious this show is wonderful. I had seen the commercials in 2012 when it first came out, but didn’t have the time or space to record and watch it, so when it came out on Netflix, I binged. Right off the bat I was hooked, and the way the story unfolded was just magic. I have since started reading the Green Arrow comic books the show is based on, and I really love how the show goes about telling the story. I don’t want to give too much away here, so I’ll stop, but please, this is another you should go to Netflix and watch. Oliver Queen and his team are seriously kick-ass.
3. Firefly– I am so mad this show was canceled. I didn’t discover it until about 2 years ago, but once I did, I dragged viewing it out over about 6 months. I knew that there was only one season and a movie and I wanted the newness of it to last as long as possible. I had been a Nathan Fillion fan for years, mainly thanks to Castle, and was fully dedicated to Firefly after about 10 minutes into the first episode. Joss Whedon is a genius creator and writer and this show is no exception. I am a Browncoat for life! Also, GO WATCH IT!
4. Gotham- This show is in its infancy, but it has proven to be a serious contender. I am a Batman fanatic, so there was no doubt that I just had to watch this show, and let me tell you, I was impressed! I’ll be honest, I was afraid it would be cheesy, like Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (sorry Marvel fans), but I was pleasantly surprised! Gotham has stuck to the darkness that I love about DC comics. The casting was fabulous-David Mazouz plays Bruce Wayne wonderfully, and Sean Pertwee as Alfred? Well, I love him. Donal Logue is seriously awesome. I swear he gets better and better the more I see him in different shows (did you see him in Sons of Anarchy? Amazing). And of course Ben McKenzie-Detective Gordon. This is a show about Gordon’s origin story, and I must say, it is doing a fantastic job. McKenzie plays the part better and better each week. I can’t wait for Monday nights!
5. Haven-Another Netflix find! I saw a description about something sci fi-ey taking place in Maine (my favorite place, like ever) and I was in. This show was so much more intricate than I had even imagined and I even got the boyfriend hooked. The “troubles” that need to be solved episode to episode, and the way the overall story developed as the series went on is fun, and complicated, and keeps you guessing. I am patiently awaiting its return for the second half of Season 5!
6. Supernatural– I wish the Winchester brothers were real. I wish that their kind of hunting were real. I wish I could be a hunter. Yep, I’m obsessed. I binge watched this on Netflix as well, my boyfriend gave in when I was 5 seasons in and caught up, and we are now watching “live.” I am team Dean all the way, and I always will be. I love every single character and the part they have played-even if I hate them, I love them. I honestly don’t know what else to say because it is just so good and so much has happened, and if you’re not on board, get on board. If you are, lets nerd out together! Seriously, leave a comment below, and lets chat!
I really love TV and will totally admit that it takes up way too much of my time. I love many more tv shows than what I have listed above, but I am positive I will get into them down the road. I have been so lucky to make friends who I can obsess with and with whom I can share new shows or comics or books. And I am so happy to share with you all, and hopefully make some connections with like-minded (or not-I love hearing about new things!) nerds. What’s your favorite fandom?